The Voyager Scholarship is available to all rising juniors with a GPA of 3.0 or above with a commitment to public service. The scholarship provides up to $25,000 per year to recipients for their junior and senior years of college. Recipients will also receive a $10,000 stopped and free housing for a summer work-travel experience of their own design between their junior and senior years of college. Post-grad, recipients will be provided with a $2,000 travel credit every year for ten years. They will also attend an annual fall leadership summit with President Obama and Airbnb CEO, Brian Chesky. Applications are due June 14th. More information may be found here
Schwarzman Scholars Program
The Schwarzman Scholars Program is a one year Master’s Degree in public policy, economics and business or international studies at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China.
Institute of Current World Affairs Fellowship
The Institute of Current World Affairs (ICWA) fellowship advances American understanding of international cultures and affairs by sending outstanding young professionals abroad on two-year independent writing fellowships to study countries, regions and globally important issues. Fellows are given the time and resources to explore the world through self-designed programs of travel, thought and writing. They produce monthly dispatches and go on to make vital contributions to their fields.
Fellowships are aimed at developing local knowledge and writing skills, not necessarily awarding research or reporting opportunities to those who already possess them. Strong candidates propose compelling fellowship topics.
- Candidates must be under 36 years of age at the time of the due date for the initial letter of interest.
- US citizenship is not a requirement but candidates must show strong and credible ties to US society.
- Applicants must have excellent written and spoken English-language skills and must have completed the current phase of their formal education. (We do not accept applications from currently enrolled undergraduate students.)
- We expect candidates to have the necessary language skills to allow to them to carry out their proposed projects. That means enough language proficiency for them to be able to function in the local language within a few months of arriving in country.
The Mitchell Scholarship funds one year of graduate study at an Ireland or Northern Ireland university. Includes travel, tuition, housing, and stipend. Mid-September campus deadline.
The British Marshall Scholarships were founded by an Act of British Parliament in 1953 and commemorate the humane ideals of the European Recovery Program (Marshall Plan). These scholarships are awarded to young Americans of high ability to study for a degree in the United Kingdom.
The objectives of the program are to express the gratitude of the British people to the American people for the Marshall Plan, to bring intellectually distinguished young Americans who will become America’s leaders, opinion-formers and decision-makers to study in the United Kingdom, to enable them to gain an understanding and appreciation of British life, social and academic value, aiding the establishment of ties between the United Kingdom and the United States.
Each year up to forty British Marshall Scholarships are awarded, which are tenable at any British University and cover one to three years of study in any discipline, at the graduate level leading to the award of a British University degree. Candidates are invited to indicate two preferred universities (although the Marshall Commission reserves the right of final placement).
The total award covers residence and cost of living expenses, tuition fees, a grant for books and some travel money.
Qualified candidates must be citizens of the United States and not have reached their 26th birthday by October 1, the year of application. By the time they take the scholarships, the applicants must hold a first degree at an accredited 4 year college or university and have obtained a GPA of not less than 3.7.
Prospective applicants need to become knowledgeable about British universities, the availability of their chosen field of study, requirement for obtaining a British degree, etc.
Information and applications are available on line: http://www.marshallscholarship.org/
All application materials are submitted in one package by Kalamazoo College on the prescribed forms, must be endorsed the President or Provost and be accompanied by academic references, etc.
The campus deadline for receipt of all materials is Monday of 1st week.
The Graduate Fellowships Committee will assist students in preparing their application if sufficient time is allowed (at least four weeks prior to the campus deadline).
For more information and applications, visit Marshall Scholarships.
British Council: Information on education, scholarships and other funding for study in the UK.
Knight-Hennessy Scholars receive full funding to pursue any graduate degree at Stanford University. This includes the JD, MA, MBA, MD, MFA, MS, and PhD programs, as well as all joint- and dual-degrees. Open to all students; citizens and non-citizens. (Visit website for deadlines).
Fulbright US Student Program
The Fulbright US Student Program funds one year of English teaching assistantship, research, or graduate study abroad (over 140 participating countries). On-campus application process and support. Contact Jessica Fowle for more information.
Grantees plan their own programs which may include university coursework, independent library or field research, classes in a music conservatory or art school or special projects in the social or life sciences or combinations. English teaching assistantships are also available in many countries and are usually the more appropriate choice for graduating seniors.
The program promotes cross-cultural interaction and mutual understanding on a person to person basis in an atmosphere of academic integrity and intellectual freedom.
- The Statement of Grant Purpose and the Personal Statement must be submitted to the Fulbright Program Advisor (Jessica Fowle) by the first campus deadline of August 27, 2021 (before the start of Fall Quarter!). Want more time to work on revisions after receiving feedback or want to do multiple rounds of revisions? Send your materials in by the Early Bird deadline of August 6, 2021.
- Applicants must submit the complete online application including final drafts of proposals and personal statements, transcripts.
- Letters of recommendation must be electronically submitted by no later than September 15, 2021.
- Language evaluations must also be electronically submitted by no later than September 15, 2021.
- It is highly recommended that you consult Jessica Fowle, faculty or other advisors for comments on your proposal and personal statement before submitting your application to the Fulbright Committee.
- The Fulbright Campus Committee will schedule an interview with each candidate during second through third week.
- Re-submission of the final application must be prior to the October 12, 2021 deadline established by the IIE.
The Fulbright Scholarship is highly competitive and the successful applicant must carefully research the opportunities in universities of the country he/she proposes for carrying out the proposed program. The Graduate Fellowships Committee will assist students in preparing their application if sufficient time is allowed (at least four weeks prior to the campus deadline).
Gates Cambridge Scholarship
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of post-graduate study at Cambridge University for up to three years. The deadlines for US citizens is mid-October. Deadlines for international students vary (either early December of early January) depending on course of study. Check website for details
What it covers:
- One round-trip economy airfare
- Cambridge tuition and fees
- Maintenance allowance
- Discretionary allowance
- Excellent transcripts showing evidence of sustained academic achievement in study
- References able to speak knowledgeably about the candidate’s actual academic performance and his or her potential for scholarly growth
- Ability to show how study at Cambridge would help them achieve their personal goals
Applicants submit their application for admission and funding (Gates Cambridge and other funding) via the University’s Graduate Application Portal.
To be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship you must complete the section to apply for admission to a course and a College place and the Gates Cambridge part of the funding section. Gates Cambridge has access to the full application for admission and funding when reviewing applications. Review the How to Apply page for all details.
Visit the British Council website for more information on education, scholarships, and other funding for study in the United Kingdom.
Gaither Junior Fellows Program
At the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, the Gaither Junior Fellows Program is designed to provide a substantive work experience for students who have a serious career interest in the area of international affairs. They will be hired to work as employees at Carnegie in Washington, DC on a full-time basis for one year.
The Emerson Fellowship is an 11-month post-graduate fellowship split between Washington, DC and working with a community-based organization elsewhere in the United States. Fellows will work on anti-poverty and anti-hunger policy.